Kizkalesi is a lovely resort and is situated directly opposite of the famous “girl castle” (Kiz Kalesi). The castle is about 300 m from the mainland on a small island in the east of Silifke and today is still accessible by boat.
The legend of this castle says that a sultan brought his daughter to this castle to protect her from a snake bite, which was prophesied. In the time of Byzantine the “girls castle” was connected with the castle on the mainland by a dam. There are still huge ramparts of the castle preserved. Inside are the remains of a chapel.
Tasucu is a town 10 km west of the estuary of the Göksu River in the province of Mersin. It has about 12,000 inhabitants and around 300 families from Germany, Holland, Sweden, England, etc. settled in Tasucu and in the surrounding countryside.
The main industry of the city during the summer months is the Turkish domestic tourism. The fishing industry is a further industrial branch. From Tasucu there is a ferry to Northern Cyprus.
Narlikuyu is also called the “fountain with pomegranate” and is located approximately 7 km west of Kizkalesi. It is a beautiful fishing village with a bay. There are many recommended fish restaurants in Narlikuyu. It is told that a spring with magical power arises in the caves. Another attraction are the remnants of the ancient Roman baths. This is a mosaic of the Three Graces, which can be seen in a small museum. The Greek inscription says: “Whoever drinks of this water will be wise and lives long, whoever’s ugly will be beautiful.”
A popular destination in Narlikuyu is the cave system Cennet Cehennem (“Heaven and Hell”), but only where the “Heaven” is accessible. This collapsed cave systems was created by underground rivers. The “Heaven” was discovered in 1852 and is the largest of the four caves. A steep path leads down to the “heaven”. This cave consists approximately 90 x 250 m on the ground and is 70 m deep. In the end of the path there is the chapel of the Virgin Mary dating from the 5th AD. The church is standing under overhanging walls, so it never got a roof. Below the church there is the entrance to a large cave, in which an underground river flows. The “hell” is located approximately 75 m north of the “heaven”. This cave can’t be visited, the walls fall steeply to a depth of 120 meters.
The historic site of Uzuncaburc lies about 25 km north of Silifke on a 1000 m high plateau. These are the ancient cities and Olba Diokaisarea.
The Temple of Zeus was the center of power of the priestly dynasty. On the north side there is a garland sarcophagus, decorated with fine reliefs and bulls and rams’ heads. The five storey tower and the mausoleum are located on the opposite hill and are from the era of the Seleucids.
The colonnaded street from the first Century AD is approximately 10 m wide and runs from the theater to the Tyche temple and pasts the Temple of Zeus. On the northern corner of the road a second column road crosses this road. This street leads to the south gate. The northern gate is also Roman, and was renovated in the 4th century AD by the Byzantine rulers Aracadius and Honorius.
From the Byzantine period are the Basilica, the Temple of Zeus and the Stephanos church. There you can also find a necropolis. It is located approximately 500 m north of the city.